6" Bamboo Steamer Set weighs ¾ lbs.
8" Bamboo Steamer Set weighs 1¾ lbs.
10" Bamboo Steamer Set weighs 2¼ lbs.
12" Bamboo Steamer Set weighs 2¾ lbs.
A Favorite Recipe: Chinese Steamed Buns
1 tablespoon dried active baking yeast
1 teaspoon superfine sugar (caster)
4 tablespoons plain flour
4 tablespoons warm water
extra ½ cup warm water
extra ½ cup plain flour
¼ teaspoon salt
extra 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ teaspoon baking powder
- Mix together yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, 4 tablespoons flour and 4 tablespoons warm water. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Mix in the remaining warm water, flour, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and vegetable oil. Knead until dough surface is smooth and elastic. Roll over in a greased bowl, and let stand until triple in size, about 2 hours.
- Punch down dough, and spread out on a floured board. Sprinkle baking powder evenly on surface, and knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 2 parts and place the piece you are not working with in a covered bowl. Divide each half into 12 parts. Shape each part into a ball with smooth surface up. Put each ball on wax paper. Let stand covered until double, about 30 minutes.
- Bring water to a boil, and reduce heat to medium; the water should still be boiling. Place steamer on top. Transfer as many buns, as will comfortably fit onto each steamer layer, leaving an inch between the buns and put on cover. Steam buns over boiling water for 15 minutes. Ensure that water does not come in contact with the buns.
- REMOVE LID BEFORE you turn off heat, or else water will drip back onto the bun surface and produce yellowish "blisters". If necessary, continue steaming batches of buns until all are cooked.
Note: You can fill the buns with most anything you like, including veggies for a vegetarian dish.