A Favorite Recipe: Vegetarian Sushi
4 shoots of nori sea vegetable.
2 cups of cooked short-grain rice.
1 cup of cucumber strips.
1 cup of cooked sweet potatoes.
½ cup of rice vinegar.
2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
2 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds.
- In a suitably sized mixing bowl, combine the rice vinegar with the sesame oil. Add the cucumber strips, stirring gently, and allow to marinate for about 4 hours.
- Remove from the marinade and drain.
- With a blender, whip the sweet potatoes until they are smooth and creamy. Lay a piece of plastic wrap on a flat surface. Place half a cup of rice on the plastic wrap and press to the size of a sheet of nori.
- Place a sheet of nori on top of rice, and then spread ¼ cup of blended sweet potatoes on nori and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place ¼ cup cucumber strips in the middle. Roll up from the outside and dampen the edge to seal (the rice will be on the outside of the roll).
- Allow to chill for at least 3 hours before slicing. Slice with a damp knife into half-inch thick slices.