A Favorite Recipe: Sesame Chicken
2 teaspoons cornflour
2 tablespoons rice wine
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 pinch crushed chilies
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 clove crushed garlic
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets, sliced
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
handful of fresh mushrooms, quartered
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
4 green onions, sliced diagonally
- For marinade: In a dish or bowl, blend cornflour with rice wine; stir in lemon juice, soy sauce, chilies, ginger and garlic. Blend and stir in chicken pieces to coat. Cover and refrigerate to marinate for 3 to 4 hours.
- In a wok or large frying pan, toast the sesame seeds over medium heat, shaking the pan until the seeds are a golden brown color. Remove seeds and set aside.
- To same wok, add sesame oil and vegetable oil, then heat slowly.
- Drain chicken, reserving marinade, and stir-fry in wok a few pieces at a time, until browned. Remove chicken with a skimmer and set aside.
- Add mushrooms and bell pepper to same wok and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the green onions and stir-fry 1 minute more.
- Return chicken to wok, together with reserved marinade, and stir over medium high heat for another 2 to 4 minutes, or until the ingredients are evenly coated with the sauce. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top and serve immediately.